This course is for those who have recently stepped into the publishing industry and those who would like a refresher on the basics of copyediting for non-fiction. Get an overview of the publishing process and learn the practical tools to carry out your tasks more effectively. The course will consist of a blend of instructions and exercises to give participants hands-on practice on specific skills sets related to copyediting. These skills will be reinforced with checklists and references.
This workshop will equip participants with the skills to
- Understand the publishing industry and the editorial process better
- Understand the expectations and KPIs of their roles as copyeditors
- Perform their roles more effectively
- Create and use style sheets effectively
- Improve their skills in managing their authors
- Overview of the editorial process
- Copyediting vs proofreading
- Editing online and on hard copy
- Mechanical editing: grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation, etc
- Content editing: logic, syntax, structure, etc
- Author-editor relationship
- Creating and use of style sheets
- A style manual
About the trainer:
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 15 – 30 pax
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis and workshop fees must be paid before the workshop. If the minimum number of participants is not met for the class, the organisers will inform all participants about possible postponement and cancellation, two weeks before the workshop date.
Cancellation & Substitution
The workshop can be cancelled or postponed two weeks before the workshop date if the minimum number of participants is not met. Participants will be fully refunded for workshops cancelled by us.
Participants who are unable to attend a workshop they have registered for are to inform us of the reason two weeks before the workshop date. They will be fully refunded in the event of extenuating and mitigating circumstances (E.g. illness, bereavement, accidents) . Those who inform us up to five (5) working days before the workshop date will receive a 50% refund. Participants can also attend another course at the same value within the same year.
Upon registration, you are deemed to have read and understood the cancellation, withdrawal and substitution policy and accept the terms contained therein.