WHY YOU SHOULD ATTEND
Electronic books (or e-books) are steadily gaining popularity given the convenience and affordability it brings to consumers. In today’s hyper-connected world, downloading and uploading online content can be done with much ease. As a result, e-publications are at a higher risk of copyright infringement and piracy.
Join us for this workshop if you wish to acquire a deeper understanding of issues relating to copyright ownership, infringement, defences and enforcement in the digital world. Our speaker will also discuss contractual issues between authors, publishers and end-users, as well as matters concerning enforcement of territoriality in a borderless cyber world.
1. Introduction and History of Copyright
2. E-Publishing under the Copyright Act
· Definitions of “publication” and “distribution”
· Technological differences between traditional publication and e-publishing
3. Ownership and Contractual Issues
· Issues between the author/rights owner and publisher
· Issues between the publisher and end-users
4. Technological and Management Issues
· Enforcing territoriality in a borderless cyber world
5. Copyright Infringement and Defences/Exceptions
· Primary and secondary infringement/liability
· General and specific fair dealing defences
· Specific exceptions for archives and libraries
This course is meant for:
· Publishing staff such as Sales & Marketing manager, Development Editor, Editorial Manager
· Authors who have published e-books or are thinking of doing so
· Executives managing digital libraries, online journals, online news, and e-books
About the trainer: Mark Cheng
Mr Mark Cheng is a legal counsel and faculty at the IP Academy. Before joining IPA, Mark in private practice in an international firm where he specialised in dispute resolution, criminal and civil litigation, mediation, and arbitration proceedings. Through his practice, Mark has experience working with a wide range of disputes ranging from workman compensation and personal injury claims, to multi-national companies in cross-jurisdictional disputes. Mark has also had experience with the corporate drafting and reviewing of contracts, including high-profile employment agreements and multi-million dollar escrow agreements. Outside of practice, Mark has a keen interest in the intersections between intellectual property law and the areas of music, art, and technology, and has furthered that interest in his time with IPA.
IP Academy's In-house programmes
The IP Academy (Singapore) can customise in-house programmes for your organisation. Feel free to contact us at (65) 6221 8622 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Minimum – Maximum Number of Participants: 15 – 30 pax
The Organiser will refund 75% of the course fees if written notice of withdrawal is received at least 1 week before the commencement of the course. The remaining 25% will be charged as an administration fee.
The above will become enforceable upon registration, and is regardless of whether course fees have been received by the Organiser. No refund will be made for any withdrawal after this period except in mitigating and extenuating circumstances (e.g. bereavement, illness and accidents), subject to management’s approval. Documentary evidence must be produced in such circumstances.
Substitutions are welcome at any time. However, such requests must be made to the IP Academy in writing.
Cancellation & Refund
The Organiser reserves the right of cancellation. A full refund will be given to registrants if the course is cancelled by the Organiser. The IP Academy reserves the right to make changes to the programme.
Payment is required before the start of the course or within 14 days of receipt of invoice, whichever is earlier. IP Academy reserves the right to refuse entry to participants who have not made payment of the course fees.
All cheques should be crossed and made payable to “IP Academy”. Kindly write the course title at the back of the cheque. Cheques should be mailed to: IP Academy (Singapore), 51 Bras Basah Road, #01-01 Manulife Centre, Singapore 189554.
Attention: Accounts Dept